Project requirements included:
- a complete topographic and elevation survey of the existing features including utilities
- precise computer aided roadway geometric design to obtain minimum length of structure, superelevations, curve and linear alignment, girder lengths and adherence to AASHTO criteria
- extensive levee degrading and construction of steel sheet pile and concrete I-wall
- design of 10,000 linear feet of prestressed concrete type III girders with LEAP program.
- complete construction management including construction administration (bi-weekly status meetings, correspondence, plan changes, change orders, instruction from owner to contractor, cost analysis and schedule maintenance, etc.) engineering during construction, utility coordination, review shop drawings and other contract submittals, document control, resident inspection, presentation to citizen groups, monthly status reports to owner, coordination with testing and inspection laboratories for quality assurance, daily reports, review and recommendation of pay requests and final closeout documentation.
The Lakefront Airport Bridge (East Approach) is a multifaceted roadway, bridge and floodwall project. It has as its main feature, a two-lane, high-rise bridge structure across the elevated Norfolk Southern Railroad main line twin tracks and the adjacent flood protection levee. The bridge connects the two existing parallel ground level west bound traffic roadways (Hayne Boulevard and Stars and Strips Boulevard) on either side of the railroad. The 3500 foot long overpass and roadway project required degrading of 2200 feet of the existing earthen hurricane flood protection levee and installation of 2200 linear feet of a seven and one-half (7½) foot high concrete I-type floodwall to provide space for the installation of bridge columns and the merger with the existing Hayne Boulevard westbound roadway at ground level.
The East Approach bridge is 1,939 feet long and 42’-10” wide and has a deck area of 83,100 square feet. The bridge rises 46 feet above the average ground elevation to provide the required 23-foot clearance over the Norfolk Southern Railroad tracks from Hayne Boulevard to Stars and Stripes Boulevard. The bridge deck width includes the 1’-5” exterior barrier rails and a 40 foot wide clear roadway.
This project includes a 1,257 foot long at-grade approach and a merging roadway at the east end of the bridge that connects to Hayne Boulevard. Similarly, there is a 311-foot long at grade approach roadway at the west end of the bridge that connects to Stars and Stripes Boulevard.